Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (washed and scrubbed)
- 1 can (10-12 ounces) of kale (drained thoroughly)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 stick of butter (softened at room temp)
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon
- Place potatoes in stockpot and top off with water. Bring to boil on high heat and continue boiling for about 20 minutes until soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Prepare bacon in skillet and cook until crispy, remove and dry on paper towels. (Save bacon drippings.)
- Once bacon dries, crumble to small pieces.
- Place chopped onions into skillet with reserved drippings and cook until browning begins.
- Add kale to skillet with onions. Stir until heated thoroughly and remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and place in large mixing bowl. Use a masher (preferred) or large fork to break the potatoes.
- Add butter & cream and continue smashing. Don’t over work. The texture should be smashed, not whipped.
- Add kale, onion and crumbled bacon and smash together with potatoes.
- Serve in a large bowl. Top with additional crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.