Ingredients (serves 12 people)
- 1 roll (12-count) raw buttermilk biscuits
- 1 gallon vegetable oil
- Powdered or cinnamon sugar, to garnish
- In a deep fryer, pour vegetable oil to the fill line and set temperature to 360°F.
- Separate biscuits, then cut into quarters. Once oil is hot, fry biscuit quarters, turning once, until golden brown and floating, about 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, carefully transfer beignets to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered or cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.
- Tip: If you don’t have a fryer, a Dutch oven works just as well. Fill the pot with 2” of vegetable oil, heat until instant-read thermometer registers 360°F. Fry biscuits in oil, about 1 1/2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Broiled Shrimp Scampi
Ingredients (serves 5 people)
- 1-2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler. Arrange shrimp in rows in a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until lightly golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Pour over shrimp.
- Broil shrimp until pink and firm to the touch, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of parsley. Serve immediately.
Stovetop Grilled Lemongrass Pork Skewers
Ingredients (serves 6 people)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (soy sauce can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves and tops removed, root ends trimmed and stalks finely minced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained
- Fresh mint and cilantro, for garnish
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar and oils until sugar has dissolved. Add lemongrass, shallot, garlic and pork. Mix to coat meat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Thread pork loin onto skewers and wrap ends of skewers with tin foil to prevent scorching.
- Heat a large, well-oiled non-stick skillet or grill pan to medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook skewers until lightly browned and cooked all the way through. Remove skewers to a serving platter and garnish with fresh cilantro, mint and chopped peanuts.